Police officer fired crossbow in High Wycombe

  • By Helen Burchell and Frances Read
  • BBC News, Buckinghamshire

image description, Police and forensic teams remain on scene in Downley

A police officer was shot in the leg with a crossbow and a man was stabbed in what was described as a “serious assault and weapons incident”.

Police attended School Close in Downley, near High Wycombe, on Friday after a man in his 60s suffered a stab wound.

The alleged attacker was shot by armed police and has potentially life-changing injuries.

Both the officer and the stabbing victim have since been released from the hospital, police said.

The suspect, a 54-year-old man from High Wycombe, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and remains in hospital under police protection.

image description, There is a heavy police presence on the street

Assistant Chief Constable Tim Metcalfe of Thames Valley Police said the officer who was shot was “in good spirits given the circumstances”.

“It is very fortunate that no one suffered life-threatening injuries.”

He praised the “incredible bravery” of the officers who responded to the incident, adding: “We are providing every possible support to the officer who was injured in the incident.”

image description, Armed police were called on Friday evening and the scene is still cordoned off
image description, Police are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident

ACC Metcalfe added: “We are not currently seeking anyone in connection with the incident.”

Buckinghamshire Commander-in-Chief Emma Burroughs said the incident had been “greatly challenging and worrying” for the local community.

“We do not underestimate the impact it has had on the community, so we are doing everything we can to support people, such as patrolling the area over the coming day and working with stakeholders such as councillors, the MP and our independent advisory group,” she said.

Neil, who lives in the area and did not want to give his last name, told the BBC he saw an armed police officer crouching in a nearby bush.

image description, Neil, who lives near where the incident occurred, said he rushed to get his family inside when he saw the police

“I was playing in the park with my son and my partner and I knew something was about to happen. I grabbed my son and told my partner to go home and within a few minutes it started, there was commotion everywhere, then there were shots.”

“It happened so quickly. It was peaceful to the point of chaos.”

“It escalated so quickly.”

Housemate Andy Gupta told PA Media: “We saw three or four armed police officers through our window. That’s when we realized something serious was going on.”

“For the first time in my life I felt like I was working in a film.

“There were 15 to 20 police cars, armed police, three or four ambulances and two intensive care units.

“It was worrying – I have family here. I know there are kids playing there and my buddy’s kids are there, so I was worried about them too.”

Mr Gupta’s 13-year-old daughter said: “I saw a man coming out of a house and it looked like he had been stabbed in the stomach.”

“And then the police came and said: ‘Don’t stand outside, don’t come out, it’s dangerous’.”

“They kept them all inside. And then the armed police came and I heard two shots.”

“We were shocked – we didn’t think this would happen in such a quiet area.”

Thames Valley Police have made a mandatory referral to the Independent Office for Police Conduct over the incident, which occurred at around 6pm BST.

With additional reporting by Martin Heath.